Sunday, January 24, 2010

INTRODUCTION

Wow, me blogging!  What do I have to say that can be so important that I would think other people would spend their valuable time reading it.  How about...........this country is headed down the tubes, and, it seems to be getting worse by the day.  How about.......Mother Earth is getting more pissed off.  (When momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.)  How about.........the weather is getting worse.  (I am not even gonna touch on Gorebal Warming). I had a discussion, many years ago, with a fellow on the subject......."Do you think the weather (i.e. hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.) is getting worse or is it just because we hear about catastrophes  sooner?"  I continue to ask that question and invariably get the answer, "No, it's definitely getting worse."   

Even tho I feel we are not going to be on this planet for too much longer, I'm still fixing up the old place.  The house was built in 1939 as a tenet house for the farm up the road.  In 1978, we rented it and the next year the farmer sold it to us.  House, barn, creek in the back, on an acre for $24,000.  Wow, you say?  It had a leaking roof, no basement, no central heat, no insulation and a failing septic system.  With a LOT of work and a LOT of money, we made it home.  Surrounded by farm ground from 3 farms, 2 of which are Amish, and the third, I hope, soon will be.  On a quiet country road, not far from the Susquehanna River.   

Last year, in April, I got laid off from my job.  (Did cartwheels out the door.)  My house-mate had been fighting cancer for over 22 years and it was evident, now, that it was turning into a losing battle and would soon be full time care.  Passed away in July, so, now taking care of the cats, dogs and the house is my new full-time job.  Pays not great but the hours are good.

3 comments:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

I think you got the place for a decent price, even if it did need a little work.
I can't get the thought out of my mind, of you doing all those cartwheels out the door when you got laid off from work. lol. Sorry to hear about the roomie though.

HossBoss said...

Sounds like you got a real good deal on the place! I'm impressed that you are old enough to be retired and can even THINK about doing cartwheels. I'm sorry to hear about your friend's passing. Continuing to build on what you started together has to be some comfort.

SHARON said...

Thanks to both of you. This planet is only a bus stop on the trip to eternity. If you really think about it, we are only here for a smidgen of time. We will all see each other again.