Sunday, August 21, 2011

JUST GOT BACK....

The Amish neighbor up at the crossroads lost his barn this after. Lightning strike, the 9 year old called 911 while his dad got the milking equipment and cows out. The oldest son and his wife and two babies live there, but he doesn't farm it. He has a sawmill attached to the end of the barn, but the firemen were able to save that and the calf shed. No animals were lost, a lot of hay and some farm equipment are gone. I was eating supper when the scanner went off. Funny thing tho, the storm was well past and then there was a loud clap of thunder, sounded like a cannon going off. Next thing I hear is the dispatcher rattling off all of these companies for a barn fire. I ate supper and drove up, was gonna walk but the road was kinda busy, parked in the field and the top two floors were gone already.
I gave Naomi a hug and then someone came and told her they were moving the cows over to a farm on Dad's road to an empty barn, I saw her fight back the tears. The son and his family that live there weren't home at the time. They'll be moving this year right up the road. I found out they bought the neighbor's tenet house and are going to tear it down and build a new house and then move the saw mill to that property. I hate to see that old house torn down but they said it was trashed by the tenets and its full of fleas and bugs.
Since the next son will be getting married this December and moving in where the barn burnt today, they will be able to rebuild to suit a dairy. They can have a new barn up in less than a week. I'll take pictures.

Later.............

2 comments:

HossBoss said...

A fire is always a bad thing but I'm glad no animals or people were injured. The Amish are amazing craftsman and builders and I bet they didn't have a mortgage on the place either. They are a wise lot.

SHARON said...

I remember when they bought that place for $1million. That was about 23 years ago. It was a beautiful old, double decker barn. But, it won't take long for another one to go up. It was amazing how everyone got together, loaded up about 30-40 cows and took them over to the other place. People sure can pull together in such a crisis.