Monday, July 16, 2012

THE BOYS CAME THRU.....

yes, they did.  Dad's neighbor showed up with his chain saw.  Then came his buddy, Bill, not long after that, here comes the third one on his HUGE tractor.  Took care of that tree limb in short order.  Dad called me this morning to tell me all about it.  He never suspected I talked to the guy.  Except, now he fussing about getting it split up so it can dry out for winter.  It's shumac, which is not the best wood to burn, makes good ashes, some people won't burn it saying it's poison.  I told him, "This ain't wood-splitting weather."  He agreed, but he'll keep on fussing about it until we get it split.  He tried to pay them, but they wouldn't accept anything.  He also showed them the hole in his screen door, and they said he should call the police, but, he's gonna let it slide for now.  The guys suspect the two brothers next door that live in the old school house apartment.  They call them bums 'cause both have bad backs, can't work and are trying to get disability.  My father believes that how we treat the weakest among us is how we will be judged.  I told him he's gotta do whatever he feels is right.

Then later in the day, my nephew and brother-in-law showed up.  They're coming back from a car show and stopped in to see dad on the way home to Baltimore.  Then another young man showed up on his restored Farmall to show dad.  It was a busy Saturday for him.

Had a nice rain last night, but probably only 1/2" in the gauge.  The Amish, in the next town over, lost a barn to lightning.  Neighbors managed to save the equipment and the two puppies that were in a shed that was burning.  They'll have another barn raised before the end of the month.  That's one thing you can say about the Amish, they pull together and help each other, and, sometimes, us 'English' also.

S'pose to be 91 today, so, guess I'll turn the A/C back on. Gonna be worse tomorrow, around 97, with storms. Then cool off. Already feels muggy and humid.

Oh........67 years ago, today, at 5:30am, Mountain Time, the first atomic test bomb was dropped in New Mexico.  One hour and fifteen minutes later, Eastern Time, I was born.  Fallout.

Later..............




8 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

Fall Out; I love it!!!! BTW, my wife is 67 also. Glad your Dad got the tree cut up.

SHARON said...

Thanks Dizzy.

Dizzy-Dick said...

I hope to be up in Pennsylvania this Fall, but at my age I don't plan that far ahead and I don't buy green bananas (grin).

SHARON said...

Gottcha, know exactly what ya mean.

Anonymous said...

Your Father sounds wonderful..How one treats the littlest and most helpless in our world is really really how it goes karmically..We lost two beloved cats in one 7 day span, they did not pass onto the rainbow bridge quietly, it was so traumatic for me I had to take some time off of work and I saw what people thought of kittehs and how their relationship is to mankind...it was an eye opener indeed, people I thought who have barely spoken to me but lived where we live for about 25 years sent over blueberries, cards, stopped by and listened to my crying and talking out loud..others just gave me a big hug and my hubby too, the lady across the street helped to dig one grave this was in a sweltering day late at night, she placed our sweet angel in the ground i could barely speak or move, she was wonderful..it just goes to show you that some of mankind is mannerly, kind and sweet..We won't be getting anymore kitteh, I have two who are tramatized, to get them to eat is something else, they drink water but won't come into the home to keep cool..Our Sophie was almost 19 years old and Bailey passed yesterday the 16th Of July at a little after 1:45 pm he just turned 17 years, they were like children to both my husband, daughter and myself, it was so traumatic to me esp. since I fed them, held them, nurtured them and doted onthem..oh, my am I ever ever heartbroken, like losing a family member!!!!!!!! Love your blog, get a big kick out of your writings. my hubby the oldest first child of a big family with a dad missing in action, I am a middle in a family of mainly boys, like my hubby is and lost my Mother young, it shapes the person you are indeedy..I would help your Dad if I lived close, I have respect and courtesy to folks who have lived on this earth a lot longer than me, I was taught that by my beloved Mother who only lived a short time, she helped everyone, loved animals and never met a person she did not like, she never spoke ill of anyone and all children and people were precious to her..Keep up such a wonderful blog...ciao!!!!!!!

SHARON said...

Hey, THANKS!!! Anon. I am always humbled that people enjoy my writing. Dad is a wonderful person, but, he is slowing down and HATES it. Work should be his middle name. I told him he make a good Amish man but he said he didn't want to give up his truck. Whatta guy, eh? Thanks for dropping by and commenting. SO SORRY for your loss, I've got 10 dogs and 14 cats buried up in the pines, over the last 40 years. It's never easy.

Stephen said...

Happy Birthday, Sharon...you sweet lady you.

SHARON said...

Thank you Stephen!!!