Saturday, April 6, 2013

THE ANNUAL MUD SALE..............

is happening over in the village.  Many, many Amish are going past the house this morning.  One enterprising young man went down the road in a cart and horse, pulling an express wagon.  What???  Then, I remembered.....the boys use these wagons to haul stuff  (for us 'English')  to the cars, then get a tip.  If there is a way to make a dollar, they're on it.

Got a call yesterday from my English friend, Barb.  She and her husband wanted to come down on Sunday, if I was going to be home.  Well, I had planned to go over to the next town and visit my friend Margaret, she is 98.  Sunday is a good time 'cause her daughter Helen would be there.  They just love Archie and its always a good visit.  Barb said they would be here about 11, then want to go over and see Ben's niece, Shirley.  So, maybe I can still get to Margaret's.

The new Amish neighbors of Dad's are still clear-cutting the woods behind him.  I got this email, for the second time, this week..............

Fire Weather Warning !
Issued at: 11:14 am EDT on April 5, 2013, expires at: 8:00 PM EDT on April 05,
2013

...Red flag warning in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening for all
of central Pennsylvania...
The National Weather Service in State College has issued a red
flag warning for central Pennsylvania...which is in effect
until 8 PM EDT this evening.
* Affected area...central Pennsylvania.
* Winds...northwest 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
* Timing...the afternoon into the early evening hours.
* Relative humidity...as low as 23 percent.
* Temperatures...in the upper 40s.
* Lightning...none expected.
* Impacts...the potential exists for rapid fire spread if
  uncontrolled fires develop...or for prescribed Burns to get out
  of control.
Precautionary/preparedness actions...
Critical fire weather conditions are expected or occurring. Any
fires that develop may quickly get out of control and become
difficult to contain.
Dad said he was out at the barn yesterday and a fellow drove in the lane, looked over at the fires in the use-to-be woods, then left.  The smoke was rolling over the ridge and I guess this fellow felt the need to check it out.  I told dad if he was the one burning he would of caught hell, but, it seems if the Amish do anything, authorities look the other way.  I hate a double standard.  He told me this morning they're back at it.  Probably will be most of the summer.  Archie has already chased their dog out of the yard.  People think they are quaint and saintly, bull, live among them and you'll change your mind.  Not all of them, my neighbors are OK and we get along, I guess there's good and bad in everyone.  However, the more I think about it, the less I feel good about eventually selling my house to Henry and his family.  We'll see.
Got to go, run to the drug store for dad, then clean this house for company.

Later...............

2 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

I would have never thought that there would be fire warning this time of the year in Pennsylvania. I thought up your way that "April showers bring May flowers"?

SHARON said...

Oh, I've got the May flowers, but, also the March winds. I think Mother Nature is screwed up. I was very surprised to get that warning.