Saturday, December 7, 2013

UPDATE.........

The week progressed as usual after his falling out on the deck, but, by the beginning of the next week, this past Monday he seemed a little confused.  Of course we don't want to go to the doctor.  Tuesday night, I helped him get his supper together, he did not want me to fix his supper or feed his cats.  He does, however, let me feed the birds.  Wednesday morning I stopped by to see if he wanted anything from the grocery store and found him on the kitchen floor.  His supper was still on the counter, so, even tho I asked him how long had he been down there, to which he replied 'oh, about 10 minutes'.  I believe he was there all night.  I went to the phone to call 911 and he was screaming at me, I'm surprised you all didn't hear him, that he was not going to the hospital.  I hung up the phone and they called me back, I told the dispatcher that I just needed help in getting him up.  That turned out to be the right thing to say 'cause they didn't even mention a med unit would be dispatched.  Took the girls on the ambulance and his neighbor, Crocket, 2 and a half hours to talk him in to going in to the ER.  Katy kept saying to me 'he really does need to go in and be checked out'.  I told her, 'you're preaching to the choir, good luck'.  So he was in the ER when I got there and they were getting ready to move him up to the heart floor.  Turns out, his white count was elevated so there was an infection somewhere which was raising his blood pressure and bringing on his confused state, plus, this put stress on his heart and caused a slight heart attack.  Thursday I went in and there is blood in his urine. They do a bladder scan and the bladder looks fine, they wanted to scope him out and he told them NO.  The doctor then pussy-foots around him and asks me about doing the procedure and I told him if he doesn't want it done then you're not doing it.  Damn hospitals, no wonder he hates them.  Friday, they call me and say his heart went into A-Fib but they gave him a shot to get it back.  He is now refusing the drip IV.  Again, this doctor wants me to OK it.  I told him, if he doesn't want it, you're not doing it, damn hospitals.  His confusion is not nearly as bad as when this started.  The white count is down.  They've got him on a IV drip of antibiotics.  I've filled out the paper work to get him into the place for rehab.  I have been told that it is the best in the county.  I told him that he is going to rehab so he can get the strength back in his legs and he can get back to his house and he's good with that.  We'll see.  So, that is the whole sordid story.  He's my dad, and I love him, but I think he's ready to go.  I'm OK with that. We are a 'pull the plug' family; no heroics.  Sometimes you have to scream that at the medical people who are trained or brain-washed to save-the-life at all cost. Living wills are meant to do that but they still won't listen.  This might be getting interesting before it's over 'cause I don't want to see him suffer like mom did.  After all, this earth is just a bus stop and we're only passing thru. 

Later...............

3 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

I hope he snaps out of it real soon, but if that is not possible, I hope he goes fast and easy. I am sure you do not want hem to suffer and I agree. My cousin's mother-in-law had a living will. They revived her a couple of times and she and her son was upset about it. Like you said, why don't they listen.

HermitJim said...

Hey, you gotta do what you and dad feel is the right thing.

One way or another, things will work out for the best!

Prayers to ya, my friend!

Anonymous said...

We have a directive no heroics at all, DNR and a will..My husband got ill Friday night rush to the E/R and blood work and iv he was scared, I was with him all the way, won't let them do stuff to scare the hell out of him and hurt him, he hates needles etc. He is fine now, more lab tests Saturday where we live, had to go to the E/R in another city..we live rural..Saturday here no labs open so had to go to the hospital and get it done, I watched carefully, paid up and we both left..He is fine. One has to have all the papers with a living person when someone is very ill in the states we live in - we live on the border of another state..One has to be vigilant..I have never understood why they try so hard to do many invasive tests on a person when the prognosis is not going to do any good..they are not God..Good for you for watching out for your Dad, prayers for a recovery..ciao!