Wednesday, July 27, 2011

REMEMBER WHAT I SAID ON MONDAY.................

that I woke up at 4:30 with this fear of dread? Well, Tuesday morning at 6:15 Cleo is out and raising hell. This SUV is parked in front of my driveway and a lady is standing in the middle of the road, in front of this tiny kitten. She reaches down to pick it up and it scidaddles into the weeds across the road. She goes back to the vehicle, gets a carrier, walks back to where the kitten was. Looks, shrugs, turns, says something to Cleo (she won't tell me what she said) gets in the SUV, does a three-point turn, AND DRIVES OFF! What! Wait a minute, now what am I suppose to do about this kitten you moron! So, all day, didn't hear a peep out of it. Did my usual rounds, went to the cemetery and took several pics, went to Dad's, had supper and fed the critters, went to Donna and Sam's and dropped off their copy of the family tree and gave them the mandolin. (Another story, let me know if you want to hear it). Came home to a screaming kitten in the weeds. I honestly thought it might wander up to the farm, because of Cleo.
About 10, I took some food and water out to the little thing. Fell down the ditch where the drain pipe comes under the road. The knuckle at the base of my big toe is quite red and swollen this morning. But there's more.
It ate all the food, drank some water. Would not come to me. Went out again at 2, cause the crying sounded close. It was, she had managed to crawl in under the hood of the PT Cruiser. Open hood, holding flashlight, hood resting on my head 'cause I didn't want to take the time to fit it on its little hood stick, grabbed cat, cat bites me, twice. I walked around, calming her down, yeh, it's a girl. Finally got her to where I could take her into the house. Put her in the bathtub, noticed one leg is not moving at all. Crap, wonder if it's broken. Put more food down with water, went to bed. She still crying most of the night, but, now I know she is safe.
Called the Vet this morning, I know its her operating day and she doesn't take clients, she took me, called me later. She doesn't think the leg is broken but all of the ligaments are torn, she can put it in a soft cast to immobilize it and it will heal. She's gonna hold the cost down as much as she can, she might take an x-ray just to see for herself, she'll do a fel-luke and aids test, if positive, she'll be put down. But, not until after 10 days because of rabies. She bit me, remember? Oh, joy!!! She is gonna call me later with more results. She asked me, "Where did you get her?" I told her across the road from my house. "Oh, well she's about 4 months old, she has two permanent teeth, very under nourished." Do I need another cat? Hell no. Some days I don't need the ones I have, but, we'll cross that bridge as time progresses. My friend Lois' granddaughter wants a kitten. So, maybe.....

Later...........

ADDENDUM........
The Vet called, the leg is broken, she could splint it, but, it might not knit properly, or she could operate and put a pin in it. Either way, the kitten will have a limp. I said do the surgery. She wants her in a little better shape, so she won't operate until Monday. Right now, she has calmed down a lot and is purring for everyone. The vet put the leg in a splint, so she is probably more comfortable. The kitten doesn't have fel-luke or aids and the vet wormed her. She told me she wouldn't charge room and board and the surgery would be about $500. I asked her if she would take time payments. She said sure. Just what I need, eh.

Later, again.................

No comments: